Sunday, January 22, 2012

I had a dream...

Image Credit & Copyright: Claudio Santana


A couple nights ago I had a dream that has sort of haunted me.  I don't often remember my dreams, but this one I can't seem to forget.  In my dream I was with a group escaping a sudden eruption of a previously unknown volcano just outside Loveland, a bit south of where I live.  It wasn't a graphic explosion, but I remember wondering if people were alright and where everyone I cared about was.  I was escaping with a sort of random group of people I didn't know and my friend Stacie, though I don't remember any interaction -- I just remember seeing her red car behind me as we fled.  I remember seeing beautiful vistas from the mountain we were driving/climbing up to get away from everything, across a nonexistent valley from the volcano with Loveland at the bottom, and taking pictures and trying to post them to Facebook.  Yeah, no idea what that's supposed to mean...So I looked it up.

I've found a couple interpretations; here's the first:
Volcano
To see a volcano in your dream indicates that you are unable to control your emotions, particularly if the volcano is erupting. You are ready to burst. The outcome may be damaging and hurtful, especially to those around you.
But I think I like this one better:
Divine Power

Volcanoes are often associated with gods and goddesses. In fact, the very name "volcano" comes from the Roman god Vulcan, a smith-worker who perfected his craft via the fire from the bowels of the earth, the place he called home. Even today, volcanoes are associated with the power of divinity. Pele, the Hawaiian goddess of fire, volcanoes and lightning, is a prime example of the association between divine power and volcanoes. 

Dreams of volcanoes can, in fact, symbolize the divine, or an encounter with an awesome force. It can indicate a profound change that is taking place within the psyche, a radical shift in awareness, or an outpouring or eruption of the contents of the unconscious. 

Encounters with the divine can be awesome, and shifts in the psyche can result in powerful, positive life changes. However, exercise caution when doing spiritual work or when attempting to make contact with the divine. Volcanoes are awesome displays and miraculous to witness when erupting--but one can only take in the beauty and fully comprehend the miracle from a distance. Be an active avenue in which the Divine can flow, but don't expect to swim in lava and emerge unscathed.
Now, I'm not convinced that either of these explain my dream.  It very well could have been something completely random.  Still, it's kind of fun to think about the possibilities of seeing something truly profound and prophetic while we sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment