Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Homemade Creamy Macaroni And Cheese

This is long overdue.  I'd actually intended to post this back in February, but I got distracted -- probably by something shiny or a squirrel or something.

Anyway, I'd found this recipe through Pinterest and, being a lifelong mac-n-cheese-aholic, simply had to try it out!  And I must say, Maggie over at Smashed Peas And Carrots nailed it!  I've adjusted the serving slightly since I pretty much only ever cook for myself -- and a child-sized serving rarely satisfies my craving for macaroni and cheese.  But overall, this is still her recipe.

 Homemade Creamy Macaroni And Cheese


Ingredients

4-5 ounces uncooked pasta, your choice (I like shells)

1/2 cup milk (I haven't had any significant problems using skim milk, so use whatever you like)

1/2 cup shredded cheese, your choice (I've been playing with different combinations and really like the Kraft Four Cheese blend, especially when I add some Swiss or Parmesan as well)

1 tablespoon cornstarch (I mix in just enough cold water to make a paste -- but no thinner than the milk -- just to take the edge off the floury flavor)

 Directions


1.  Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and set aside.

2.  Warm the milk in the microwave for 30-60 seconds, then combine in a sauce pan with the cornstarch mixture.  Stirring often (if not constantly), warm over medium-ish heat until thickened.

3.  Add the cheese, stirring until melted and blended.

4.  Before adding to the pasta, I'll add in any extra spices here.  I know that most homemade macaroni recipes include mustard powder -- not my cup of tea.  Personally, I usually just add some pepper.

5.  Pour sauce over pasta and stir until pasta is completely covered.

6.  And voila!  If you're like me and occasionally like to add something to your macaroni and cheese, this is the time to do it.  Otherwise, it's dinnertime!

Okay, I know it doesn't look especially pretty here,
but trust me, it 's delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment